- February 1: Ann Bowers joins Apple Computer as employee #1111 and becomes its first VP of human resources.
- May 19: Apple Computer presents the Apple III. Due to production glitches, the computers reached only retailers in November and is deemed a failure.
- September: Future CEO Michael Spindler joins Apple's European office.
- November 4: Ronald Reagan is elected 40th President of the United States.
- December 12: Apple Computer starts trading on the stock exchange (price at IPO: USD 22 per share). Jean-Louis Gassée joins Apple on the same day.