- AirPods (1st generation) - contain Apple W1 processors, which controls the Bluetooth 4.2 connection and optimizes battery use. The charging case accepts power through a Lightning port at the bottom of the case.
- AirPods (2nd generation) - often called AirPods 2, feature the same exterior design, but contain more efficient Apple H1 processors, which adds "Hey Siri" functionality, faster device connection, lower latency, and 50% more talk time. Available with a new Qi-compatible wireless charging case, which is distinguishable by a small LED indicator on the front and is backwards compatible with the 1st generation.
- AirPods Pro - contain an Apple H1 processor with new active noise cancellation, IPX4 water resistance, and interchangeable silicone tips featured in 3 sizes. It also includes a redesigned wireless charging case.
The AirPods have an ambient light sensor near the ear tip to sense when they're in an ear to start/stop playing sound.
The AirPods charge in their charging case, which provides them up to 24 hours of playing time. Although you have to place them in a case, they wirelessly charge inside.
- Apple AirPods 2 Vs AirPods: What's The Difference? by Gordon Kelly, Forbes. 2019-03-23.
- AirPods 2 vs AirPods: What’s Different? by Henry T. Casey, Tom's Guide. 2019-04-30.