The Apple Expo was a series of European annual sales conferences and technology expositions organized by or with Apple. The conference featured over 250 exhibitors annually, with Apple being its main exhibitor. This event was viewed as the European counterpart to Macworld Expo, a similar series of conferences that were held annually in San Francisco and other American cities.
The first Apple Expo event was originally held June 22 to 24, 1984 at Hall 8 of Paris Expo Porte de Versailles in Paris, France. It was organized by the employees of the French Apple distributor Seedrin SARL, and its manager Jean-Louis Gassée. The Seedrin employees organised the event into an annual show, where third party software and hardware distributors could exhibit their Apple-related products.
The distributor was acquired by Apple Computer and became Apple Seedrin (later Apple France) and continued holding the expo every mid-September. Within the Apple France subsidiary of 100 people, a small team was organised by Adeline Domenjoz) to set up the annual event.
In 1998, the Apple Computer took more centralised control of organising the Apple Expo, and included co-founder Steve Jobs as part of the events. With this new corporate management, the employees of the French subsidiary slowly stopped being be part of the booth demo team. Reed OIP was contracted to handle the logistics of the growing event. The focus of the expo gradually shifted from the Mac to Apple's iPod product line. Year after year, Apple stopped releasing new products during this event, removing much of its booth investments, and limited the amount of available new products on show. The final Apple Expo "Remix" in 2008 was organized solely by Reed Expositions without even an Apple booth.
There were other similar events held in Europe, like MacExpo in London, but with no link with the Apple Expo.
Listed below is a timeline of Apple Expo and significant product announcements:
|2008||Paris, France||Final event held September 17 to 20 by Reed Expositions. Future events cancelled after Apple decides to end its involvement, saying it would be participating in fewer trade shows.|
|2007||Paris, France||Held September 25 to 29. Last Apple Expo to feature an Apple booth.|
|2006||Paris, France||Held September 12 to 16 at Paris Expo Porte de Versailles.|
|2005||Paris, France||Held September 20 to 24. Steve Jobs did not personally present his traditional keynote event, as he did at Macworld Expo. The only product announced by Apple was a new and improved .Mac bundle.|
|2004||Paris, France||Held August 31 to September 4. Due to Steve Jobs having pancreatic cancer, the keynote was presented by Phil Schiller, Apple's senior VP of worldwide marketing, who announced the new iMac G5.|
|2003||Paris, France||Held September 16 to 20 at Hall 4 of Paris Expo Porte de Versailles. Steve Jobs announced upgrades to the PowerBook G4 line. He also announced the Apple Wireless Keyboard and mouse.|
|2002||Paris, France||Much of the keynote on September 10 consisted of a demo of Apple's new Mac OS X 10.2 operating system. Steve Jobs also announced iCal and iSync.|
|2001||Paris, France||Originally scheduled September 26 to 30, cancelled due to the September 11 attacks.|
|2000||Paris, France||Held September 13 to 17. During the keynote on the 13th, the Mac OS X public beta was announced, as well as new iBook and iMac G3 models in new colours.|
|London, UK||Held March 30 to April 1 at Wembley Park.|
|1999||Paris, France||Held September 15 to 19 at Hall 7.3 of Paris Expo Porte de Versailles.|
|1998||Paris, France||Held September 16 to 20. During the keynote on the 17th, Steve Jobs demoed FireWire, gaming with a Mac versus a PC, and an unsuccessful video demo on 49 connected iMacs.|
|1997||London, UK||Held November 5 to 8 in conjunction with Apple Computer UK Ltd. and Macworld. The keynote was presented by Diego Piacentini, VP of sales and general manager of Apple Computer Europe Inc.|
|Paris, France||Held September 17 to 21 at Hall 7.2 of Paris Expo Porte de Versailles.|
|1996||Paris, France||Held September 18 to 22 at Hall 7.2 of Paris Expo Porte de Versailles.|
|1995||Puteaux, France||Held September 13 to 17 at le Centre des nouvelles industries et technologies.|
|1994||Puteaux, France||Held September 14 to 17 at le Centre des nouvelles industries et technologies.|
|1993||Puteaux, France||Held September 15 to 18 at le Centre des nouvelles industries et technologies.|
|Lyon, France||Held June 3 to 5 at la Halle Tony Garnier.|
|1992||Puteaux, France||Held September 16 to 19 at le Centre des nouvelles industries et technologies.|
|Lyon, France||Held at la Halle Tony Garnier.|
|1991||Puteaux, France||Held September 18 to 21 at le Centre des nouvelles industries et technologies.|
|Marseille, France||Held April 11 to 13 at Hall 3 in Parc Chanot.|
|1990||Puteaux, France||Held September 19 to 22 at le Centre des nouvelles industries et technologies.|
|1989||Puteaux, France||Held September 27 to 30 at le Centre des nouvelles industries et technologies.|
|1988||Paris, France||Held September 28 to October 1 at le Parc de la Villette.|
|1987||Paris, France||Held September 30 to October 3 at le Parc de la Villette.|
|1986||Paris, France||Held at le Parc de la Villette.|
|1985||Paris, France||Held in June 14 to 16 at Paris Expo Porte de Versailles.|
|1984||Cologne, Germany||Held October 25 to 29 next to the Orgatechnik office technology fair.|
|Paris, France||Held June 22 to 24 at Hall 8 of Paris Expo Porte de Versailles.|
- L’Apple Expo, c’est quoi ? (French), Le Blog de l'Aventure Apple. Accessed 2021-03-29.
- Macworld 2005, All about Steve Jobs. 2005-01-09.
- Apple Expo 2003, All about Steve Jobs. 2003-09-16.
- Apple Expo 2002, All about Steve Jobs. 2002-09-10.
- Apple has cancelled Apple Expo 2001, Apple Expo. Archived 2001-09-22.
- Apple Expo 2000, All about Steve Jobs. 2000-09-13.
- Apple Expo 2000 by John Keogh, Flickr. Archived 2007-06-26.
- Quoi de Neuf (French), Apple France. Archived 1999-05-08.
- Apple Expo (French) by François Michaud, Quart de Pomme. 2020-01-24.
- Apple Expo 1998, All about Steve Jobs. 1998-09-17.
- Apple Expo '97 Keynote and Seminar Programme, Apple Expo. Archived 1998-01-11.
- Annonce Apple Expo • 1985 by TheAppleFanBoy, YouTube. 2015-05-25.
- Apple Expo Remix '08 (archived 2008-09-11)
- Apple Expo 2007 (archived 2007-09-21)
- Apple Expo 2006 (archived 2006-09-07)
- Apple Expo 2005 (archived 2005-09-15)
- Apple Expo 2004 (archived 2004-08-14)
- Apple Expo 2003 (archived 2003-08-08)
- Apple Expo 2002 (archived 2002-08-02)
- Apple Expo 2001 (archived 2001-09-17)
- Apple Expo 1998 (archived 1998-06-10)
- Apple Expo UK 1997 (archived 1998-01-11)
- Apple Expo Paris 1997 (archived 1997-06-30)
- Apple Expo 2003: Keynote Photos by Jörg Weise (2003-09-16, archived 2004-04-23)
- Les invitations pour Apple Expo (French) at Le Blog de l'Aventure Apple (2019-06-06)
- Macworld Expo official site (archived 1998-12-05, 2005-01-09)
- Apple Expo at Wikipedia