- Not to be confused with Apple's Music app.
The service was announced on June 8 at the 2015 Worldwide Developers Conference and launched with iOS 8.4 on June 30, 2015, replacing iTunes Radio. In June 2019, Apple Music had around 60 million subscribers from around the world. By June 2021, it had reached 78 million subscribers. In February 2022, the introductory free trial period was reduced from three months to one month.
Instead of paying for and downloading music individually by track or album, it is streamed on-demand from Apple servers to users' device(s) for a subscription fee. Users can manually select music to stream, or listen to curated playlists.
The service also includes access to the internet radio stations, Apple Music 1, Apple Music Hits, and Apple Music Country, which broadcast live to over two hundred countries 24 hours a day. The radio stations are ad-supported and free to all users with an Apple ID.
- Voice — US$ 4.99 per month (no support for lossless audio, spatial audio, and 3rd-party devices)
- Student — US$ 4.99 per month
- Individual — US$ 9.99 per month
- Family — US$ 14.99 per month (up to 6 users)
- Machkovech, Sam (June 8, 2015). Apple Music is "the next chapter in music," debuts June 30. Ars Technica.
- Number of Apple Music subscribers worldwide from October 2015 to June 2021 by Marie Charlotte Götting, Statista. 2022-02-08.
- Apple Music Reduces Free Trial Period to One Month by Joe Rossignol, MacRumors. 2022-02-04.
- The complete guide to Apple Music: Get the low down before you sign up, Macworld. 2021-12-13.
- Apple announces Apple Music radio, Apple Inc. 2020-08-18.
- Apple Music announces Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos; will bring Lossless Audio to entire catalog, Apple Inc. 2021-05-17.
- Apple introduces the Apple Music Voice Plan, Apple Inc. 2021-10-18.