The 4th generation iPad Pro and the 2nd generation iPhone SE were announced online on March 18 and April 15, 2020, respectively, with no live special event for either product during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Main article: Worldwide Developers Conference 2020
The 2020 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC 2020) was streamed online from June 22 to 26, 2020, the first to be held virtually due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. During the keynote event on the opening day, new announcements included iOS 14, iPadOS 14, macOS Big Sur, tvOS 13, and watchOS 7. The company also announced that the Mac platform would switch to Apple processors over the next 2 years, with Rosetta 2 and Universal 2 to aid in the transition.
Apple hosted another online-only media event on September 15, 2020 at 10 a.m. PT from Apple Park in Cupertino, titled "Time flies." Apple CEO Tim Cook opened the event with decriptions of usage of the Apple Watch during the COVID-19 pandemic. COO Jeff Williams introduced the Apple Watch Series 6 and SE, both running watchOS 7. New service announcements include Apple One, a bundle of subscription services which includes Apple Fitness+. Other announcements included the new iPad (8th generation) and iPad Air (4th generation), running iPadOS 14. iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 will be released the following day on September 16.
Apple is expected to announce its new iPhone 12 line sometime later in October 2020. Some market analysts predicted that such releases would be delayed about a month. In an earnings call on July 30, 2020, Apple CFO Luca Maestri confirmed that new iPhones would be delayed by several weeks to sometime in October.
- ↑ iPhone SE: A powerful new smartphone in a popular design, Apple Inc. 2015-04-15.
- ↑ The 9 biggest highlights from Apple WWDC 2019 by Natt Garun, The Verge. 2019-06-03.
- ↑ WWDC 2019 news & product announcements by David Price, Macworld, 2019-06-04.
- ↑ Apple Event — September 15 by Apple, YouTube. 2020-09-15.
- ↑ Apple announces Sept. 15 event where it’s expected to announce new products, iPhone likely coming later by Todd Haselton, CNBC. 2020-09-08.
- ↑ Apple reportedly delays iPhone 12 mass production by a month by Tom Warren, The Verge. 2020-04-27.
- ↑ Apple confirms new iPhones won’t arrive in September by Tom Warren, The Verge. 2020-07-30.