The Apple logo has undergone many changes over the years.
The first logo was created by Apple Computer co-founder Ronald Wayne with the establishment of the company on April 1st, 1976. It features Isaac Newton sitting under a tree with the apple that inspired the law of gravity as well as the company's name.
The second logo was designed by Rob Janoff of the Regis McKenna advertising agency and entered into use in 1977, with color stripes representing the groundbreaking color capabilities of early Apple desktop computer models. The bite was added to the shape to avoid confusing it with a cherry. According to According to McKenna, inspiration for the rainbow colors was drawn from the work of another local commercial artist, Tom Kamifuji. This version was refined by Landor Associates in 1990.
The colored version remained in use until a monochrome version of the logo was adopted in 1998, with the rainbow version remaining in some use until 1999. A version based on the "Aqua" theme entered into use in 2001 with the launch of Mac OS X. A cleaner metallic version of the logo entered into use in 2007 for the introduction of the iPhone. In 2013, it was simplified back to silhouette form in the release of iOS 7, under the direction of chief creative officer Jonathan Ive. The monochrome logo once again entered corporate use in 2014.
- To type the Apple emoji on a Mac or Apple keyboard, press
- On an iOS or iPadOS device without a hardware keyboard, copy and paste the emoji () from here, or use the Keyboards settings to enable text replacement.
- Apple Cofounder Ron Wayne Offers Insight on Original Newton Apple Logo by Bryan Chaffin, The Mac Observer. 2017-07-11.
- Why There's A Bite In The Apple Logo by Apple Explained, YouTube. 2021-06-27.
- Rob Janoff on his logo for Apple by Touraj Saberivand, Logo Design Love. 2016-09-21.
- The Apple bite logo was designed by Rob Janoff at Regis McKenna's firm. McKenna says the out-of-order rainbow was inspired by the work of Bay Area commercial illustrator Tom Kamifuji. by Kate Willært, Twitter. 2020-11-21.
- Apple Logo Evolution — It all Started With a Fruit by The Logo Creative, Medium. 2018-08-09.
- Apple Logo History: All About Apple Logo Evolution by Milena Abrosimova July 7, 2020, The Designest. 2020-07-07.
- Jony Ive’s new look for iOS 7: black, white, and flat all over by Mark Gurman, 9to5Mac. 2013-05-24.
- How to type the Apple logo on Mac, iPhone, and iPad by William Gallagher, AppleInsider. 2022-07-11.
- Apple Logo Story by Rob Janoff
- Apple Logo at Emojipedia
- Apple and Apple/Other at Logopedia
- Apple Inc. logos at Wikimedia Commons
- Apple Inc.: Logo at Wikipedia
- Apple Logo Evolution — It all Started With a Fruit by The Logo Creative at Medium (2018-08-09)
- Was Apple’s Logo Really Designed Using The Golden Ratio? by John Brownlee at Cult of Mac (2013-05-20)