Levinson graduated as a dual major with a B.S. in molecular biology and a B.A. in chemistry from the University of Washington in 1972. He received his Ph.D. in biochemistry from Princeton University in 1977.
Levinson joined Genentech in 1980 as a senior scientist and became the director of cell genetics by 1987. In 1989, he was appointed VP of research technology, and then senior VP of research and development in 1993. In 1995, Levinson became president and CEO of Genentech and then chairman in 1999.
- Apple Names Arthur D. Levinson Chairman of the Board, Apple Inc. 2011-11-15. Archived 2011-11-16.
- Genentech CEO Arthur Levinson Joins Apple Board of Directors, Apple Computer. 2000-08-15. Archived 2011-11-16.
- Dr Arthur D. Levinson, Roche. Accessed 2021-02-02.
- Arthur Levinson, Ph.D. at Calico Labs
- Arthur D. Levinson at The Franklin Institute Awards
- Art Levinson, ’72 at the University of Washington
- Arthur D. Levinson at Wikipedia
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Arthur Levinson by Allen Lee at Money (2019-07-24)