Beta version, or simply "beta", is used to identify software that is undergoing pre-release testing in its development cycle. New features from the alpha testing stage are typically frozen and the software is evaluated for usability. Such software may be packaged to undergo testing by individuals other than the developer.
Public beta refers to software that is publicly previewed to gain wider feedback of its features. The final stage is a "golden master" (GM) that is seeded to developers to confirm the absence of significant bugs before manufacturing or commercial distribution.
- Apple Beta Software Program at Apple
- Beta testing at the Free On-Line Dictionary Of Computing
- Beta Software at the Tech Terms Computer Dictionary
- Beta Firmware at the iPhone Wiki
- Software release life cycle: Beta at Wikipedia