Donald Arthur Norman (born December 25, 1935) is an American researcher, professor, and author. Norman is the director of The Design Lab at University of California, San Diego. He is best known for his books on design, especially The Design of Everyday Things. He is widely regarded for his expertise in the fields of design, usability engineering, and cognitive science.
In 1993, Norman joined Apple Computer, initially as an Apple Fellow and a User Experience Architect (the first use of the phrase "User Experience" in a job title), and then as the Vice President of the Advanced Technology Group. He later worked for Hewlett-Packard before joining with Jakob Nielsen to form the Nielsen Norman Group in 1998. He returned to academia as a professor of computer science at Northwestern University, where he was co-director of the Segal Design Institute until 2010. In 2014, he returned to UCSD to become director of the newly established The Design Lab housed at the California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology.
Norman is a co-founder and consultant with the Nielsen Norman Group. He is also an IDEO fellow and a member of the Board of Trustees of IIT Institute of Design in Chicago. He also holds the title of Professor Emeritus of Cognitive Science at the University of California, San Diego. Norman is an active Distinguished Visiting Professor at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST).
Much of Norman's work involves the advocacy of user-centered design. His books all have the underlying purpose of furthering the field of design, from doors to computers. Norman has taken a controversial stance in saying that the design research community has had little impact in the innovation of products, and that while academics can help in refining existing products, it is technologists that accomplish the breakthroughs. To this end, Norman named his website with the initialism JND (just-noticeable difference) to signify his endeavors to make a difference.
- Royal-Lawson, James (2016-08-24). Design Doing with Don Norman (en). UX Podcast. “Per: Born in 1935. James: Yeah, he actually turned 80 around about the same time as we had a Twitter conversation about this interview. Per: Exactly. It was December 25.”
- ISNI 0000000122839155 - Donald A. Norman ( 1935- ).
- Robbins, Gary (2014). Don Norman has designs on your life (en-US).
- Rich User Experience, UX and Desktopization of War. Retrieved on 25 September 2016.
- Peter in Conversation with Don Norman About UX & Innovation. Retrieved on 25 September 2016.
- Zachry, Mark. "An Interview with Donald Norman", October 2005, p. 469.
- Norman, Donald. Technology First, Needs Last. Retrieved on January 26, 2010.
- What does jnd.org mean?.