History with Apple
Trump was president during Tim Cook's tenure as the CEO of Apple Inc. Trump claimed that he received the first Mac Pro made by Apple in Texas. Though the 2nd generation Mac Pro had been assembled in Austin since 2013, the aforementioned unit was the first 3rd generation model to come off the assembly line there in 2019.
In 2017 and 2018, Trump administration officials subpoenaed Apple to seize data from Democratic members of the U.S. House Intelligence Committee, their family members, aides, and journalists in search of leaks about contact between Trump associates and Russia. Apple was not notified who the subpoena was targeting and limited information to metadata and did not provide any emails or images. Apple was then placed under a gag order not to disclose the subpoena until it expired after Trump left office in 2021. Microsoft also received a similar subpoena and none of the data provided was able to tie anyone to the leaks.
Trump is known to have disparaged Laurene Powell Jobs, the widow of Steve Jobs, because of her majority stake in The Atlantic, a magazine that had printed critical news coverage of the Trump administration.
- Trump claims to have received a pioneering Apple product as he leaves office – the truth is more complicated than that by Adam Smith, The Independent. 2021-01-21.
- Apple says it didn’t know Trump’s DOJ was asking for Democrats’ data when it complied with subpoena by Steve Kovach, CNBC. 2021-06-11.
- Hunting Leaks, Trump Officials Focused on Democrats in Congress by Adam Goldman, The New York Times. 2021-06-11.
- Trump administration subpoenaed Apple for lawmakers' data -New York Times, Reuters. 2021-06-10.
- 'Steve Jobs would not be happy that his wife is wasting money:' Trump attacks Laurene Powell Jobs over The Atlantic report by Connor Perrett, Business Insider. 2020-09-06.
- Donald J. Trump official website
- Donald Trump official White House biography
- Donald Trump at Apple Books
- Donald J. Trump at Facebook
- Donald J. Trump at Twitter [DEAD LINK]
- Donald Trump at Wikipedia