Apple Wiki
Apple Wiki

iAd was a mobile advertising platform developed by Apple Inc. for its iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad line of mobile devices allowing third-party developers to directly embed advertisements into their applications.[1][2] Announced on April 8, 2010, iAd was part of Apple's iOS 4, originally stated for release on June 21, 2010, the actual date change to July 1, 2010 was announced at Apple's June 7, 2010 keynote, with an iPad version appearing in the fall. Hosted and sold by Apple,[3] the iAd platform is expected to compete with Google's AdMob mobile advertising service.[4]


Similar to AdMob, iAd facilitates integrating advertisements into applications sold on the iOS App Store.[5] If the user taps on an iAd banner, a full-screen advertisement appears within the application, unlike other ads that send the user into the Safari web browser. Ads are promised to be more interactive than on other advertising services, and users will able to close them at any time, returning to where they left their app. Apple CEO Steve Jobs has indicated that Apple will retain 40% of the ad revenue, in line with what he called "industry standard", with the other 60% going to the developers.[6] iAd is expected to benefit free applications as well.[7]


The iAd App Network was phased out on June 30, 2016. The technology lives on in Apple News advertising and Apple Search Ads.[8]


  1. Nicholas, Kolakowski. Apple iPhone OS 4 Offers Multitasking, iAd. eWeek. Retrieved on 2010-04-21.
  2. Apple’s Apps Plus iAd Account For 8% Of Stock Price «'s Great Speculations. Retrieved on 2010-04-21.
  3. Apple Unveils iAd Platform; iPad Sales Look Strong - ABC News. (2010-04-08). Retrieved on 2010-04-21.
  4. Ulanoff, Lance. Apple iAd Platform: A Case of the Rich Getting Richer | Lance Ulanoff. Retrieved on 2010-04-21.
  5. Krazit, Tom (2010-04-08). Apple strikes back at Google with iAd | Relevant Results - CNET News. Retrieved on 2010-04-21.
  6. What's new in iPhone OS 4. Apple Inc.. Retrieved on 22 April 2010.
  7. Foresman, Chris (2010-04-08). Multitasking (finally), iAd, and more coming in iOS 4.0. Retrieved on 2010-04-21.
  8. iAd App Network will be Discontinued - News and Updates - Apple Developer (January 16, 2016).

External links[]

Wikipedia This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).