iOS 15 is the fifteenth major version of iOS that was released by Apple on September 20, 2021, succeeding iOS 14. The mobile operating system was announced on June 7 at the 2021 Worldwide Developers Conference.
- SharePlay feature allows shared viewing of video or listening of music with friends during FaceTime connections.
- Focus settings allow users to block distractions while working or doing other activities.
- Notifications organized by priority, based on user interactions.
- Live Text automatically recognizes written or printed text in images or photos that can be converted into selectable text.
- Redesigned Safari interface.
- Updated Maps with improved 3D models and AR support.
- More Privacy controls.
- Redesigned Weather and Notes apps.
- Siri requests can be processed entirely within iPhones with an Apple A12 chip or later.
The forthcoming existence of iOS 15 was discovered within the source code of a WebKit update. In Spring 2021, Apple began beta testing its anti-tracking privacy feature to shield user information from websites. However, this feature was already deployed with the release of iOS 14.5 on April 26, 2021. Facebook reportedly planned to file a lawsuit against Apple's tracking feature changes as unfair.
The iOS 15.4 update was released in March 2022 with support for Tap to Pay on iPhone. It also added support for Face ID while wearing a mask, though the feature is presently limited to the iPhone 12 series and higher.
Contrary to early reports, iOS 15 will support all previous models that could support iOS 13 or 14. Features that require newer hardware, such as spatial audio, will be disabled in older models, such as the iPhone 6S.
- iOS 15.5 (19F77), Apple Developer. 2022-05-16.
- iOS 15.6 beta (19G5027e), Apple Developer. 2022-05-18.
- WWDC 2021 — June 7 by Apple, YouTube. 2021-06-07.
- Apple reveals iOS 15 with FaceTime Spatial Audio and connectedness focus by Malcolm Owen, AppleInsider. 2021-06-07.
- iOS 15 brings new ways to stay connected and powerful features that help users focus, explore, and do more with on-device intelligence, Apple Inc. 2021-06-07.
- WebKit code leaks Apple's next OS names as macOS 12, iOS 15 by Malcolm Owen, AppleInsider. 2021-03-29.
- Apple's anti-tracking privacy feature arrives in next iOS beta, launches in spring by Mike Peterson, AppleInsider. 2021-01-28.
- What's in iOS 14.5 by Karen Haslam, Macworld. 2021-04-26.
- Facebook is reportedly preparing an antitrust lawsuit against Apple by Kris Holt, Engadget. 2021-01-28.
- iOS 15.4 beta 2 includes new API to enable ‘Tap to Pay on iPhone’ by Filipe Espósito, 9to5Mac. 2022-02-08.
- iOS 15.4’s new ‘Use Face ID with a Mask’ option limited to iPhone 12 and newer by Chance Miller at 9to5Mac. 2022-03-14.
- iOS 15: Apple to drop support for iPhone 6s and SE by Mikael Markander, Macworld. 2021-01-25.
- These are the iPhone and iPod touch models compatible with iOS 15 by Filipe Espósito, 9to5Mac. 2021-06-07.
- iOS 15 at Apple
- iOS 15 at 9to5Mac
- iOS 15 roundup at MacRumors
- iOS 15 at the BetaWiki
- iOS 15 at Wikipedia