iOS 16 is the sixteenth major release of the iOS mobile operating system that is in development at Apple to succeed iOS 15. It was announced on June 6 at the 2022 Worldwide Developers Conference and is scheduled to be released sometime later in 2022.
- Lock Screen — updated with the ability to customize TrueDepth images, integrate widgets, and switch between different screen settings based on Focus preferences.
- Messages — new ability to edit and undo messages that were already sent.
- SharePlay — new support for Messages (after being solely on FaceTime).
- Dictation — updated to function simultaneously with the keyboard.
- Live Text — updated to be able to function on paused videos.
- Apple Wallet — Arizona and Maryland added to supported U.S. states.
- Apple Pay Later — automatically breaks up large Apple Pay purchased into 4 payments financed over 6 weeks.
- Apple Maps — redesigned features being introduced in 11 more countries with along with new features, such as more visual details, multi-stop routing, and additional transit information.
- Parental Controls — improved integration with other devices running iOS and iPadOS 16 or later
- Privacy — adding Safety Check feature to help protect users who may be in an abusive relationship.
- HomeKit — updated to support the Matter open standard.
- CarPlay — to be updated with deeper integration with automobile hardware.
- Fitness — updated to support iPhones without the need for motion tracking from an Apple Watch.
- Door detection for users with visual impairment using LiDAR on an iPhone 12 Pro, 13 Pro, or later.
- Live Captions for users with hearing impairment using an iPhone 11 or later.
- Apple Watch mirroring for users to control their watchOS device remotely.
- New Quick Actions to expand AssistiveTouch gestures in watchOS 9.
- Buddy Controller to allow a friend or carer to help a physically disabled user play a game
- Siri Pause Time to allow more time for users with speech disabilities to issue a voice command.
- Voice Control Spelling Mode to allow users to dictate the spelling of unusual words.
- Sound Recognition to allow an iPhone to be trained to recognize appliance noises or alarms at home.
- Apple Books customization of line, character, and word spacing.
With the discontinuation of the Apple A10-based 7th-generation iPod touch, this is the first version of iOS to run solely on iPhone models since iPhone OS 1.0.2. As a result, Apple was speculated to be discontinuing support for similarly-configured older models. At WWDC 2022, support was confirmed to be limited to devices containing a Neural Engine in the Apple A11 chip or later, including:
|16.0 beta 1||20A5283p||2022-06-06||First developer beta.|
|16.0 beta 2||20A5303i||2022-06-22||2nd developer beta.|
iOS 16 includes default backgrounds for Light and Dark Mode.
- iOS 16 beta 2 (20A5303i), Apple Developer. 2022-06-22.
- Apple unveils an all-new Lock Screen experience and new ways to share and communicate in iOS 16, Apple Inc. 2022-06-06.
- Apple events 2022: Apple’s next event is 6 June by Karen Haslam, Macworld. 2022-04-06.
- WWDC 2022 - June 6 by Apple, YouTube. 2022-06-06.
- Apple previews innovative accessibility features combining the power of hardware, software, and machine learning, Apple Inc. 2022-05-17.
- Apple announces iOS 16 door detection, live captions, and more accessibility features by William Gallagher, AppleInsider. 2022-05-17.
- Which Devices Will iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 Support? by Hartley Charlton, MacRumors. 2022-05-12.
- Apple iOS 16 brings massive improvements to lock screen and messages by Allison Johnson, The Verge. 2022-06-06.