November 11, 2015
iPadOS 14.x (latest)
9.7 to 12.9 inch Retina display
Space Gray, Silver, Gold, Rose Gold
The iPad Pro is the flagship line of professional tablet computers from Apple Inc. It was first announced on October 9, 2015 and released on November 11, 2015, superseding the iPad Air 2 as the high end of the iPad line. It has since become its own product line, consisting of a lighter compact model and a larger 12.9-inch model.
- A powered magnetic Smart Connector to connect with the Smart Keyboard and other smart connector accessories.
- The wireless Apple Pencil stylus facilitates creation of digital art.
The 1st generation iPad Pro first became available on November 11, 2015, solely in a larger 12.9-inch version with a 64-bit Apple A9X chip. A smaller 9.7-inch version became available on March 31, 2016 and included a camera flash.
The 5th generation iPad Pro was announced on April 20 2021 and became available on May 21st in 11 and 12.9-inch versions. These were the first to share a common central processor, the Apple M1, with the Macintosh computer line.
- The announcement of the iPad Pro took place on the same date the iPad mini 4 was released.
- The high end iPad Pro models feature the largest screens of all iPad models.
- This is the first iPad to have a powered magnetic connection called the Smart Connector for attachable keyboards, such as the Smart Keyboard, and other accessories.
- In the YouTube video "Angry Grandpa destroys iPad Pro", a first generation iPad Pro battery releases smoke when destroyed with a hammer. This has not necessarily been duplicated in other instances where iPads have been destroyed.