The iPhone 12 is an anticipated new model of iPhone being developed by Apple Inc. It is reported to be part of a device family that is expected to be released sometime in October 2020 to succeed the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro.
Early specifications have been speculated as a result of leaked source code from beta versions of iOS 14. Sources from Apple's supply chain indicated that the iPhone 12 lineup is believed to be adopting a design reminiscent of the iPhone 4 in as many as 3 sizes in standard and Pro versions. A 5nm version of the Apple A14 being manufactured by TSMC is expected to exceed performance of the most recent iPad Pro.
Market analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that releases of iPhone 12 models may be delayed or staggered due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. A major manufacturing contractor is Foxconn, with many facilities located in the Greater China region. The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple had moved back mass production plans by about a month and that shortages could be expected. Sources in South Korea reported that LG received an order for up to 20 million OLED screens, while Samsung received an order for up to 55 million screens, which are believed to be destined for use in new iPhone models. In an earnings call on July 30, 2020, Apple CFO Luca Maestri confirmed that new iPhones would be delayed by several weeks to sometime in October.
- ↑ iOS 14 reveals iPhone 9 and updated iPad Pro details, new Apple TV remote, AirTags, more by Chance Miller, 9to5Mac. 2020-03-10.
- ↑ Apple Accidentally Leaks Radical New iPhone Upgrade, by Gordon Kelly, Forbes. 2020-03-25.
- ↑ Apple Loop: New iPhone 12 Revealed, Apple’s iPhone SE Problem, MacBook Pro’s Magic Update by Ewan Spence, Forbes. 2020-05-08.
- ↑ 2020 iPhone Shock As ‘All-New’ Apple iPhone Revealed by Gordon Kelly, Forbes. 2020-05-07.
- ↑ Apple A14 Processor To Exceed 3.1GHz by Yasir Zeb, Research Snipers. 2020-03-15.
- ↑ iPhone 12: Dummies show the design of the upcoming smartphone by Abdullah, Gizchina. 2020-06-15.
- ↑ Kuo: iPhone 12 launch will be staggered due to delays, new SE eats into iPhone 11 sales, GSMArena. 2020-04-22.
- ↑ Apple reportedly delays iPhone 12 mass production by a month by Tom Warren, The Verge. 2020-04-27.
- ↑ LG gets orders for 20M OLED iPhone screens this year, ending Samsung monopoly by Ben Lovejoy, 9to5Mac. 2020-05-27.
- ↑ Apple confirms new iPhones won’t arrive in September by Tom Warren, The Verge. 2020-07-30.
- Everything known about the 'iPhone 12' by Andrew O'Hara at AppleInsider (2020-04-22)
- Huge leak details Apple’s most revolutionary new iPhone 12s feature at BGR (2020-04-22)
- iPhone 12 roundup at MacRumors
- New iPhone 12 release date, leaks, price, news and what you need to know by Gareth Beavis, James Rogerson at TechRadar (2020-04-17)