The iPhone 12 is a new iPhone model developed by Apple Inc. It is part of a device family that was announced during a special event on October 13, 2020 to succeed the iPhone 11 line. Additional iPhone 12 models include the downsized iPhone 12 mini, the high-end 12 Pro, and larger 12 Pro Max. The phones became available for preorder on October 16; the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro began shipping on October 23, 2020.
Like the rest of the iPhone 12 line, it is powered by the six-core Apple A14 "Bionic" processor and features Ceramic Shield on the front screen and back panel for 4x improved drop performance over previous models. It supports 5G networks for improved speed (up to 4Gbps) with the ability to automatically switch to LTE as needed to conserve battery life. The wireless changing coil inside the phone includes MagSafe for magnetic alignment and attachment of chargers and accessories. The updated Lightning connector supports faster charging though USB-C.
The Super Retina XDR display features a 6.1-inch OLED screen with a 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio and a resolution of 2532 x1170 at 460ppi, containing about twice as many pixels as the iPhone 11. The flattened aluminum sides of the case resemble the iPhone 4 in a smaller size than the iPhone 11. It is available in 6 different colors: blue, (PRODUCT)RED, white, green, black, and purple. The rear-facing dual-camera system includes an ultra-wide and wide angle lens.
Early specifications were speculated as a result of leaked source code from beta versions of iOS 14. Sources from Apple's supply chain indicated that the iPhone 12 lineup was believed to be adopting a design reminiscent of the iPhone 4 in as many as 3 sizes in standard and Pro versions. A 5nm version of the Apple A14 that was being manufactured by TSMC was expected to exceed performance of the most recent iPad Pro.
Market analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that releases of iPhone 12 models would be delayed or staggered due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. A major manufacturing contractor is Foxconn, with many facilities located in the Greater China region. The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple would move back mass production plans by about a month and that shortages could be expected. Sources in South Korea reported that LG received an order for up to 20 million OLED screens, while Samsung received an order for up to 55 million screens, which are believed to be destined for use in new iPhone models. In an earnings call on July 30, 2020, Apple CFO Luca Maestri confirmed that new iPhones would be delayed by several weeks to sometime in October.
- Apple Event — October 13 by Apple, YouTube. Accessed 2020-10-07.
- Apple Event 2020 LIVE Updates: 2020 iPhones are coming with 5G connectivity, says CEO Tim Cook, Firstpost. 2020-10-13.
- Apple A14 Bionic, NotebookCheck. Accessed 2020-10-15.
- iPhone 12: Apple makes jump to 5G by Leo Kelion, BBC News. 2020-10-13.
- My October 2020 iPhone comparison sketch. by Kate Matthews, Twitter. 2020-10-13.
- iOS 14 reveals iPhone 9 and updated iPad Pro details, new Apple TV remote, AirTags, more by Chance Miller, 9to5Mac. 2020-03-10.
- Apple Accidentally Leaks Radical New iPhone Upgrade, by Gordon Kelly, Forbes. 2020-03-25.
- Apple Loop: New iPhone 12 Revealed, Apple’s iPhone SE Problem, MacBook Pro’s Magic Update by Ewan Spence, Forbes. 2020-05-08.
- 2020 iPhone Shock As ‘All-New’ Apple iPhone Revealed by Gordon Kelly, Forbes. 2020-05-07.
- Apple A14 Processor To Exceed 3.1GHz by Yasir Zeb, Research Snipers. 2020-03-15.
- iPhone 12: Dummies show the design of the upcoming smartphone by Abdullah, Gizchina. 2020-06-15.
- Kuo: iPhone 12 launch will be staggered due to delays, new SE eats into iPhone 11 sales, GSMArena. 2020-04-22.
- Apple reportedly delays iPhone 12 mass production by a month by Tom Warren, The Verge. 2020-04-27.
- LG gets orders for 20M OLED iPhone screens this year, ending Samsung monopoly by Ben Lovejoy, 9to5Mac. 2020-05-27.
- Apple confirms new iPhones won’t arrive in September by Tom Warren, The Verge. 2020-07-30.
- iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini at Apple
- iPhone 12 roundup at MacRumors
- iPhone 12 at Wikipedia
- Everything known about the 'iPhone 12' by Andrew O'Hara at AppleInsider (2020-04-22)
- Huge leak details Apple’s most revolutionary new iPhone 12s feature at BGR (2020-04-22)
- New iPhone 12 release date, leaks, price, news and what you need to know by Gareth Beavis, James Rogerson at TechRadar (2020-04-17)