The iPhone 12 mini is a small iPhone model introduced by Apple on October 13, 2020 as part of its iPhone 12 line. Pre-orders began on October 16 and it was released on November 13, 2020 along with iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Like the rest of the iPhone 12 line, the 12 mini is powered by the six-core Apple A14 "Bionic" processor and features Ceramic Shield on the front screen and back panel for 4x improved drop performance over previous models. It supports 5G networks for improved speed (up to 4Gbps) with the ability to automatically switch to LTE as needed to conserve battery life. The wireless changing coil inside the phone includes MagSafe for magnetic alignment and attachment of chargers (up to 12W) and accessories. The updated Lightning connector supports faster charging though USB-C (up to 20W).
The Super Retina XDR display features a 5.4-inch OLED screen with a 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio and a resolution of 2340 x 1080 at 476ppi. The flattened aluminum sides of the case resemble the iPhone 4 in a size between that of the iPhone 5 and 6. It is available in 6 different colors: blue, (PRODUCT)RED, white, green, black, and purple. The rear-facing dual-camera system includes an ultra-wide and wide angle lens. Unlike the larger iPhone 12, the mini's camera does not contain any spacers as the internal component space is limited. The Taptic Engine is also smaller. However, the capacity of the 12 mini's battery is 8.57 Wh, greater than that of the 2nd generation iPhone SE.
- Apple Event — October 13 by Apple, YouTube. Accessed 2020-10-07.
- Apple Event 2020 LIVE Updates: 2020 iPhones are coming with 5G connectivity, says CEO Tim Cook, Firstpost. 2020-10-13.
- Apple A14 Bionic, NotebookCheck. Accessed 2020-10-15.
- iPhone 12: Apple makes jump to 5G by Leo Kelion, BBC News. 2020-10-13.
- iPhone 12 mini Teardown, iFixit. 2020-11-13.
- My October 2020 iPhone comparison sketch. by Kate Matthews, Twitter. 2020-10-13.