|Price:||16 GB: $199|
32 GB: $299
64 GB: $399
|Released:||September 20, 2013|
|Discontinued:||September 9, 2014 (64 GB)|
March 21, 2016 (16 GB & 32 GB)
|Operating system:||iOS 7.0 to 12.5.5|
|Dimensions:||123.8 mm (4.87 in) H|
58.6 mm (2.31 in) W
7.6 mm (0.30 in) D
The iPhone 5S was the seventh-generation flagship iPhone that was designed by Apple and released on September 10, 2013 (along with the iPhone 5C and iOS 7). The iPhone 5S is very similar in form factor to the previous generation iPhone 5 and is available in Space Gray, Silver, and Gold. This is the first iPhone to introduce Touch ID.
The iPhone 5S was discontinued in late March 2016, when the iPhone SE was released along with a new color variant, rose gold.
- Memory: 1 GB
- GPS System: Assisted GPS and GLONASS, Digital compass, Wi-Fi, Cellular.
- iSight camera: 8 megapixels, f/2.2 aperture, sapphire crystal lens cover, True-Tone flash, backside-illumination sensor, five-element lens, and hybrid IR filter
- FaceTime camera: 1.2MP (1280 by 960), 720p HD video recording, and backside-illumination sensor
- Video recording: 1080p HD video recording, 30 fps, True-Tone flash, slo-mo video, and 3x zoom
- Intelligent assistant: Siri
- Touch ID: Fingerprint ID sensor built into the home button
- Battery power: Built-in rechargable lithium battery, 250 hours standby time, 10 hours talk time, 10 hours Internet, 40 hours audio playback, 10 hours video playback
- Sensors: Three-axis gyro, accelerometer, proximity sensor, ambiant light sensor, Touch ID
- Headphone support: Apple Earpods with Remote and Mic
- SIM card: Nano SIM (iPhone 5s is not compatible with existing Micro SIM cards unless it was cut by a special cutter)
- Connector: Lightning
- Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
- Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
- Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)
- Operating System: iOS 7 through 12.5.5
- The main distinguishing hardware features from the iPhone 5 are an Apple A7 processor with 64-bit support (RAM also 64-bit), a revolutionary iSight camera with TrueTone flash, slo-mo, Burst mode, and a f/2.2 aperture, a motion coprocessor M7, and a fingerprint sensor on the home button. Other features are mostly just evolutionary improvements.
- iPhone 5S runs on the new A7 chip, which can almost double your CPU speed compared to the slower A6 chip. The A7 chip makes the iPhone 5S the first 64-bit smartphone in the world. Supports OpenGL ES version 3.0 which delivers detailed graphics and complex visual effects. Available in the United States from the major carriers, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile. In Canada from Bell, Rogers, Koodo, Virgin Mobile, Fido and Telus.
- The iPhone 5S includes MIMO (Multi-Input Multi-Output) technology like the iPad Air and iPad mini 2 to allow increased bandwidth through spatial multiplexing of 802.11n signals.
- Apple iPhone 5s, Verizon Wireless. Archived 2013-10-14.
- Apple iPhone 5S, PhoneMore. Accessed 2022-02-19.
- Inside the New iPad, MacBook Wi-Fi Specs (and What's MIMO?) by Samara Lynn, PC Magazine. 2013-10-22.