The 2nd generation iPhone SE (Special Edition), sometimes referred as the iPhone SE 2020 or iPhone SE 2, is an entry-level smartphone designed by Apple Inc. It was announced on April 15, 2020 and became available on April 24.
The iPhone SE is available for ordering in black, white, and (PRODUCT)RED at a base price of US$399. All color variants have a black front and feature the external design of the iPhone 8 with a 4.7-inch Retina HD display and the Apple A13 Bionic processor used by the iPhone 11. The 12-megapixel camera supports portrait mode and is advertised as the "best single-camera system in an iPhone".
This model replaces the 1st generation iPhone SE, which had been introduced in 2016. After first version's discontinuation in 2018, an iPhone 9 had been expected as a replacement, especially after the its specs were leaked from developer builds of iOS 14.
On the early morning of April 17, 2020, Apple's retail store closure page due to the COVID-19 pandemic was briefly redirected to the pre-order page of the new iPhone SE. However, this was quickly reverted after the pre-orders became active after 5AM PDT.
- iPhone SE: Tech Specs, Apple Inc. Accessed 2020-05-18.
- iPhone SE: A powerful new smartphone in a popular design, Apple Inc. 2015-04-15.
- iOS 14 reveals iPhone 9 and updated iPad Pro details, new Apple TV remote, AirTags, more by Chance Miller, 9to5Mac. 2020-03-10.
- You're...early., Apple Inc. 2020-04-17 04:47 PDT.
- Temporary Retail Store Closures, Apple Inc. 2020-04-16 5:07 PDT.
- iPhone SE at Apple
- iPhone SE: The 2020 iPhone SE at MacRumors
- New iPhone SE Supports Haptic Touch, With 3D Touch Now Officially Eliminated From Apple's iPhone Lineup by Juli Clover (2020-04-15)
- iPhone SE (2nd generation) at Wikipedia