The iPhone XR (pronounced ten-R) was a smartphone released by Apple in September 2018, with the iPhone XS and XS Max. The device served as a lower-priced alternative to the expensive iPhone X, and was later succeeded by the iPhone 11. The phone came in 6 different colors: Yellow, Blue, White, Coral, Black, and a special (PRODUCT)RED edition.
The iPhone XR was available for pre-order on October 19, 2020 and it was released on October 26. It was larger than the iPhone X with a faster Apple A12 "Bionic" chip, despite its lower price. However, it was positioned towards customers of the iPhone 8 Plus.
Cost-cutting was made possible through the use of a more conventional LED "Liquid Retina" display instead of an OLED-based Super Retina HD display. Instead of dual rear-facing cameras like the iPhone X and XS, the XR had only one rear-facing camera. The XR also uses a 2x2 MIMO 4G antenna, like the preceding iPhone X, but with less maximum cellular bandwidth than that of the 4x4 antennae in the more expensive iPhone XS and XS Max.
- 6.1-inch Retina display with 326 pixels-per-inch
- Apple A12 Bionic chip with all-new Neural Engine
- Up to 256 GB of storage
- 12 MP camera with optical image stabilization
- 7 MP front-facing camera with Face ID
- Built-in stereo speakers
- Fast wired and wireless charging
- IP67 water-resistant
- Dual-SIM capable
- 6 color options
A class action lawsuit was filed in California in April 2020 on behalf of plaintiffs upset that the 2x2 MIMO antenna array of the iPhone XR was "inferior" to the 4x4 version in the more expensive iPhone XS and XS Max. However, this antenna configuration was noted as part of Apple's published technical specifications since the launch of the XR, and the first lawsuit was dropped in June 2020. A second lawsuit was filed in the same court alleging that Apple had profited from knowingly selling technology that was "inferior" to the XS and XS Max. In November 2020, a federal judge allowed the suit to proceed, but trimmed it by throwing out breach of warranty claims.
- The iPhone XR was the first iPhone to feature blue and yellow color options since the iPhone 5C.
- iPhone XR: Everything you need to know, 2020-09-08.
- iPhone XR available for pre-order on Friday, October 19, Apple Inc. 2018-10-17.
- LTE speed tests show the iPhone XS dominates the iPhone X by Chris Mills, Boy Genius Review. 2018-10-02.
- Lawsuit bemoans iPhone XR's 'inferior,' 'defective' 2x2 MIMO antennas by Mikey Campbell, AppleInsider. 2020-04-07.
- iPhone XR - Technical Specs, Apple Inc. Archived 2018-09-12.
- Apple iPhone XR Flawed Antenna Suit Dropped by Plaintiffs by Julie Steinberg, Bloomberg Law. 2020-06-11.
- Apple facing second lawsuit over iPhone XR's 'inferior' 2x2 MIMO antennas by William Gallagher, AppleInsider. 2020-05-06.
- Federal judge trims proposed class action lawsuit involving the iPhone XR’s ‘inferior’ antenna by Dennis Sellers, Apple World Today. 2020-11-18.