The original iPod, retroactively referred to as the 1st-generation iPod or iPod 1G, was released on October 23, 2001. It was still available on the market until April 2003. The iPod 1G existed in 5 and 10 GB variants.
When first introduced, the iPod 1G only existed in a 5 GB version. The 10 GB version was added in March 2002.
The iPod 1G is the only iPod ever to have a physically-movable scroll wheel. Apart from this, other unique features of the iPod 1G include:
- All 5GB models are iPod 1Gs
- There was no cap to protect the FireWire port
The last version of the iPod Software that can be applied on 1st-generation iPods is version 1.5. Support for all 15 languages (standard with Mac OS X) was included with version 1.0.4 (although version 1.0.3 included it first, despite a compatibility problem with blue-and-white Power Macintosh G3s).
The 1st-generation iPod sold for USD 399. There was also a 10 GB version of the 1st-generation iPod.
- M8513 and M8541: original scroll wheel, 5 GB, Mac version only
- M8709: original scroll wheel, 10 GB, Mac version only
It was really a milestone in the MP3 player world..
Versions of supported iPod Software
- iPod Software 1.0
- iPod Software 1.0.1
- iPod Software 1.0.2
- iPod Software 1.0.3
- iPod Software 1.0.4
- to be continued
- iPod Software 1.4
- iPod Software 1.5
- FAQs : iPod General, iPodlounge. Archived 2003-10-17.
- iPod. 1,000 songs in your pocket. at Apple (archived 2001-10-26)
- Apple iPod (Original/Scroll Wheel) 5 GB, 10 GB specs at EveryMac
- Original iPod at Low End Mac (2001-10-23)
- Apple iPod first generation disassembly by justamaaan at Take It Apart (archived 2014-03-26)
- iPod Classic: 1st generation at Wikipedia