The 5th-generation iPod touch, colloquially known as the iPod touch 5G or iPod touch 5) was unveiled at Apple's media event alongside the iPhone 5 on September 12, 2012, and was released on October 11, 2012. An all-purpose pocket computer with a touchscreen-based user interface, it is lighter and thinner than the 4th-generation iPod Touch, which it succeeded. It is compatible with up to iOS 9.3.5, which was released on August 25, 2016.
- A taller screen, comparable to the iPhone 5
- A rear-facing 8-megapixel iSight camera with LED flash
- A front-facing 1.2-megapixel FaceTime HD camera with support for 720p video
- Siri and iOS 6, upgradeable to iOS 9.3.5
- Dual-core Apple A5 chip
- Pop-up attachment for an iPod touch Loop
The iPod touch features a 4-inch diagonal Retina display. A new row of apps is therefore added. It also offers more space for updated apps.
The iPod touch has 2 cameras: the front-facing unit is a 1.2 megapixel camera while the other one is 8 megapixel with a new LED flash. The first entry-level 16 GB variant, introduced in May 2013, omitted the inclusion of the rear camera.. In June 2014, Apple introduced a 16 GB version with the rear camera.
The iPod touch Loop is a new optional feature in which you push a button on the back and it pops out. Then you can attach a wrist loop via a hole on the bottom to the popped out button to attach it.
EarPods are new headphones from Apple that are designed to fit in the ear perfectly. They have 2 speakers on the side and front for maximum sound. The EarPods bundled with the iPod touch omit the remote and microphone, unlike the ones bundled with the iPhone 5 and later.
- Apple Introduces New iPod touch & iPod nano, Apple Inc. 2012-09-12.
- Bell, Donald (May 30, 2013). Camera compromise makes Apple's new 16GB iPod Touch a mixed bag. CNET.
- Apple launches $199 16GB iPod touch with rear camera in 6 colors, slashes prices on 32GB & 64GB models, by Neil Hughes, AppleInsider, 2014-06-26
- My earphones have no mic/volume button on them? by alicelouisee, Apple Communities. 2015-01-19.