Johny Srouji (Hebrew: ג'וני סרוג'י, Arabic: جوني سروجي, born 1964) is the Senior Vice President of Hardware Technologies at Apple Inc.
Early life and education
Srouji was born in Haifa, Israel to a family of Lebanese descent. He earned bachelor's and master's degrees in computer science from the Technion – Israel Institute of Technology in 1988 and 1990, respectively. He speaks Arabic, English, French, and Hebrew.
Srouji worked as a researcher and engineer at IBM R&D Labs in Israel from January 1990 to December 1992. He joined Intel at their Israel Design Center in January 1993 and where he became a senior manager. Srouji returned to IBM in January 2005 as a CPU design manager for their POWER7 series.
In March 2008, Srouji was recruited by Bob Mansfield to join Apple, where he led the development of the Apple A4, the first system-on-a-chip (SOC) to be designed at the company. The Apple A7 surprised the industry in 2013 by moving Apple's mobile devices to 64-bit computing. After successfully rushing the Apple A9X to market for the iPad Pro in 2015, Srouji was promoted to Senior Vice President, leading development of Apple processors and reporting directly to CEO Tim Cook.
At the 2020 Worldwide Developers Conference, Srouji discussed the transition of the Mac platform from Intel processors to Apple processors with the goal of increasing performance while reducing power requirements.
- “Hard is good. Easy is a waste of time.”
- “The chip architects at Apple are artists, the engineers are wizards.”
- “My rule of thumb is if it’s not gated by physics, that means it’s hard but doable.”
- “The only way for Apple to really differentiate and deliver something truly unique and truly great, you have to own your own silicon.”
- “Apple is about focus. We focus on the things where we’re going to just double-down and deliver”
- “If you make a mistake in the Silicon, it will cost you a lot. When it's in the field – that is pretty bad.”
- “Since we own the silicon, we own the software, the operating system and everything else, we deliver, always. We deliver for the exact specification of iOS and nothing else. We don't have to worry about other operating systems.”
- Johnny from Haifa took Apple by storm. by Sagi Cohen, Ynet News.2014-08-17.
- The Most Important Apple Executive You’ve Never Heard Of by Brad Stone, Adam Satariano, and Gwen Ackerman at Bloomberg (2016-02-18)
- Investor Relations - Leadership & Governance. Apple Inc.. Retrieved on 2016-07-30.
- Ina Fried (2019-01-15). Apple exec on Intel's CEO candidate list (en). Retrieved on 2019-09-11.
- Apple's Johny Srouji supposedly not considering Intel CEO position, AppleInsider. 2019-01-25.
- WWDC Special Event — June 22 by Apple, YouTube. 2020-06-22.
- Silicon is “Unforgiving,” Says Apple’s Chip Chief Johny Srouji by Meir Orbach, CTech. 2017-11-14.
- Johny Srouji at Apple
- Johny Srouji at Bloomberg
- Johny Srouji at LinkedIn
- Johny Srouji at Reuters
- Johny Srouji at Wikipedia
- The Parallel Career Paths of Apple’s Johny Srouji and Tim Cook by Omer Kabir at CTech (2018-04-04)
- Interesting facts about Johny Srouji, the man behind Apple’s custom processors by Anuj Bhatia at The Indian Express (2020-06-25)