This update adds the following features:
- Local news in your Today feed provides extensive coverage of San Francisco, the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Houston, and New York City.
- More stories available from local news providers with a subscription to Apple News+.
- Your daily newsletter from Apple News can now be personalized with stories that reflect your interests.
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements:
- Adds a new option to optimize video streaming on HDR-compatible Mac notebooks for improved battery life.
- Fixes an issue where the computer name may change after installing a software update.
- Resolves an issue where certain USB mouse and trackpads may lose connection.
- When using the built-in keyboard with a non-U.S. keyboard layout on some Mac models, passwords with certain characters are no longer rejected at the Mac login window.
- Allows command-line tools that don't use CFNetwork, such as
curl(1), to continue connecting to TLS servers that use certificates issued by the recently expired AddTrust External CA Root.
- Major new releases of macOS can be hidden when using the
softwareupdate(8)command with the
--ignoreflag, if the Mac is enrolled in Apple School Manager, Apple Business Manager, or a user-approved MDM. (This change also affects macOS Mojave and macOS High Sierra after installing Security Update 2020-004.)
Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices.
- What's new in the updates for macOS Catalina: 10.15.6 at Apple
- About the security content of macOS Catalina 10.15.6, Security Update 2020-004 Mojave, Security Update 2020-004 High Sierra (2020-07-15)
- macOS Catalina 10.15.6 (19G73) at Apple Developer (2020-07-15)
- Apple releases iOS 13.6, iPadOS 13.6, macOS 10.15.6, tvOS 13.4.8, watchOS 6.2.8 by Mike Peterson at AppleInsider (2020-07-15)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.