macOS 11.0.1 is an update to macOS 11 (Big Sur) that was released on November 12, 2020 by Apple Inc. Though some Apple M1-based Macs had macOS 11.0 pre-installed, security updates necessitated that version 11.0.1 to be the first standalone release of Big Sur to the general public.
- New design for apps makes it easier to focus on content and take action with space efficient toolbars and full height sidebars
- Updated menu bar features wider spacing and a new translucent material that becomes more vibrant when the user interacts with it
- Refreshed system sounds include the boot chime and sounds for transferring files, moving items to the trash, locking files, and more
- Control Center puts favorite menus and controls in one handy place in the menu bar so the user can quickly adjust settings while working
- Additional controls appear when clicking to expand Control Center menus
- Support for pinning favorite menus from Control Center to the menu bar
- Updated Notification Center brings notifications and widgets together in one view
- Interactive notifications display additional information and actions when the user expands them
- Beautiful, new data-rich widgets for Calendar, Clock, Notes, Photos, Podcasts, Reminders, Screen Time, Stocks, and Weather
- Edit view allows the user to add new widgets and customize their size
- Support for widgets from third-party apps
- According to Apple, Safari is the world’s fastest desktop browser with industry-leading performance and energy efficiency*
- Customizable new start page allows the user set a background image and decide what appears, including Reading List, iCloud Tabs, Privacy Report and more
- Expanded extensions support and new dedicated category in the App Store for discovering new extensions
- New tab design featuring favicons in tabs, and website previews that appear when hovering over a tab
- Translation (beta) for English, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, French, German, Russian or Brazilian Portuguese [US-English and Canadian-English only]
- Privacy Report provides visibility into how Safari keeps browsing the user's own business, with an overview of trackers blocked by Intelligent Tracking Prevention
- Safari password monitoring securely screens saved passwords for any that may have been involved in a data breach
- Safari privacy prompts for extensions allow the user to choose when a website can work with an extension
- *Performance will vary based on system configuration, network connection, and other factors.
- Pinned conversations keep up to nine favorite threads at the top of the list
- Mentions allow the user direct a message to an individual in a group conversation
- Inline replies allow the user reply to a specific message earlier in the conversation
- Message effects for balloons, confetti, lasers and more
- #images helps find and add trending GIFs to messages
- Memoji makes it simple to create a personalized character and send stickers that match the user's mood and personality
- Guides offer recommendations for places to go and things to do, curated by a selection of trusted brands
- Look Around to explore cities in a high-resolution, interactive 3D experience
- Indoor maps for major airports and shopping centers
- Cycling directions helps find bike-friendly routes to the user's destination
- Electric vehicle routing helps plan trips for supported vehicles that the user can add on an iPhone
- Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices.
Updating to macOS 11.0.1 may take significantly longer than expected. It is recommended to check Energy Saver settings so that the computer does not go to sleep during installation. Data loss could occur if the process is interrupted, which is a possibility if the drive to be updated does not have sufficient free space.
- macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 Release Notes, Apple Developer. 2020-11-12.
- macOS Big Sur upgrade can lead to data loss without ample storage, AppleInsider. 2021-02-09.
- What's new in the updates for macOS Big Sur: macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 at Apple Support (2020-11-12)
- About the security content of macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 (2020-11-12)