- Not to be confused with macOS 10.12 (Sierra).
The forthcoming existence of macOS 12 was discovered within the source code of a WebKit update from February 2021. It was announced on June 7 at the 2021 Worldwide Developers Conference, with the first beta version being released to developers.
- Live Text for machine recognition of selectable text within images and photos.
- Privacy features protect Mail activity from being detected by email spammers.
- Quick Notes to jot down ideas store links while using any application.
- Safari is updated with a new more compact user interface that takes on the color of the visited webpage and introduces tab groups to consolidate and organize tabs.
- Shortcuts supersedes Automator for automating workflows.
- Spatial audio support during FaceTime calls with AirPods Max and Pro headphones, or built-in speakers on selected Mac models (2018 and later).
- Split view will be enhanced with the ability to swap out apps or return to a single full screen. Users can also opt to keep the menu bar visible in full-screen apps.
- Universal Control allows users to have a single keyboard and mouse setup move between macOS and iPadOS devices for a more seamless workflow. However, this specific feature was delayed and released as part of the macOS 12.3 update on March 14, 2022.
Features that require Apple Silicon
- Portrait Mode in FaceTime
- Interactive globe and additional 3D surface detail in Apple Maps
- Object Capture AR
- On-device keyboard dictation
- Additional Text-to-Speech languages in Siri
- iMac (late 2015 or later)
- iMac Pro (2017 or later)
- MacBook (early 2016 or later)
- MacBook Air (early 2015 or later)
- MacBook Pro (early 2015 or later)
- Mac mini (late 2014 or later)
- Mac Pro (2013 or later)
|12.0 beta 1||21A5248p||2021-06-07||First developer beta.|
|12.0 beta 2||21A5268h||2021-06-28
|2nd developer beta.|
1st public beta.
|12.0 beta 3||21A5284e||2021-07-14||3rd developer beta.|
|12.0 beta 4||21A5294g||2021-07-27||4th developer beta.|
|12.0 beta 5||21A5304g||2021-08-11||5th developer beta.|
|12.0 beta 6||21A5506j||2021-08-30||6th developer beta.|
|12.0 beta 7||21A5522h||2021-09-21||7th developer beta.|
|12.0 beta 8||21A5534d||2021-09-28||8th developer beta.|
|12.0 beta 9||21A5543b||2021-10-06||9th developer beta.|
|12.0 beta 10||21A5552a||2021-10-13||10th developer beta.|
|12.0||21A344||2021-10-??||Pre-installed on early Apple M1 Pro and M1 Max-based MacBook Pros. SharePlay and Universal Control not yet functional.|
|12.0.1||21A559||2021-10-25||First public release.|
|12.1||21C52||2021-12-13||Adds support for the AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT GPU and re-enables SharePlay.|
|12.2||21D49||2022-01-26||Addresses scrolling issues in Safari on MacBook Pros with M1 Pro or Max processors and 120 Hz displays.|
|12.2.1||21D62||2022-02-10||Addresses a battery drain issue when using Bluetooth.|
|12.3||21E230||2022-03-14||First public release of Universal Control. Apple Pay and StoreKit are updated. Python 2.7 support is dropped.|
|12.3.1||21E258||2022-03-31||Addresses performance issues with GPU cards in external PCIe enclosures|
|Bug fixes, including refinements to Universal Control.|
Adds support for Macs with Apple M2 chips.
|12.5 beta 4||21G5056b||2022-06-24||In beta testing.|
Monterey includes dynamic desktops, which change according to time and lighting conditions.
- macOS 12.4 (21F79), Apple Developer. 2022-05-16.
- macOS 12.5 beta 4 (21G5056b), Apple Developer. 2022-06-24.
- macOS Monterey will be released on October 25 by William Gallagher, AppleInsider. 2021-10-18.
- Here's When You Can Download macOS Monterey Today by Eric Slivka, MacRumors. 2021-10-25.
- WebKit code leaks Apple's next OS names as macOS 12, iOS 15 by Malcolm Owen, AppleInsider. 2021-03-29.
- Apple references unreleased iOS 15 and macOS 12 updates in WebKit code by Chance Miller, 9to5Mac. 2021-03-29.
- macOS Monterey introduces powerful features to get more done, Apple Inc. 2021-06-07.
- The best new features in macOS Monterey that you'll actually use by Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider. 2021-06-17.
- New features available with macOS Monterey., Apple Inc. 2021-06-07. Archived 2021-06-09.
- Apple Officially Delays macOS Monterey Universal Control Until Spring 2022 by Sami Fathi, MacRumors. 2021-12-13.
- Apple updates macOS Monterey to version 12.3 with Universal Control by Mike Peterson, AppleInsider. 2022-03-14.
- macOS Monterey: Here Are All the Features Your Intel Mac Won't Support by Tim Hardwick, MacRumors. 2021-10-23.
- macOS Monterey is compatible with these Macs; drops support for older Macs, AppleInformed. 2021-06-07.
- macOS Monterey at Apple
- Download the new macOS Monterey Wallpaper at AppleInformed
- macOS Monterey roundup at MacRumors
- macOS Monterey at the BetaWiki
- macOS Monterey at Wikipedia
- What’s new in macOS Monterey beta 2? Safari tweaks, new screensavers + wallpapers, more by Chance Miller at 9to5Mac (2021-06-28)
- macOS Monterey: Universal control, Shortcuts, Safari, and more by Roman Loyola at Macworld (2021-06-13)
- macOS 12 Monterey new features, release date, beta and compatibility by Alex Wawro at Tom's Guide (2021-06-07)