It was released on September 25, 2001 with free update CDs handed out at Apple retail stores and some other retail outlets.
This system release brought some major new features to the Mac OS X platform:
- Performance enhancements everywhere in the system
- Easier CD and DVD burning right from the Finder
- DVD player support
- More printer support (200 printers supported out of the box)
- Faster 3D (OpenGL 20% faster)
- Mac OS X 10.1.0 (build 5G64), released September 25, 2001
- Mac OS X 10.1.1 (build 5M28), released November 13, 2001
- Mac OS X 10.1.2 (build 5P48), released December 20, 2001
- Mac OS X 10.1.3 (build 5Q45), released February 19, 2002
- Mac OS X 10.1.4 (build 5Q125), released April 17, 2002
- Mac OS X 10.1.5 (build 5S60), released June 6, 2002
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.