Mac OS X 10.2.7, codenamed "Smeagol", was a version of Mac OS X that accompanied some early shipments Power Mac G5 and iMac G4 systems from Apple Computer to corporate and government customers. It was released on September 22, 2003, and replaced by a G5-specific build of Mac OS X 10.2.8 on October 3, 2003.
Officially, this version of Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar" was never made available to the general public. A corresponding build (6R65) of 10.2.7 for all processors was renumbered to 10.2.8 and set for public release on September 23, but was pulled from distribution due to issues that were discovered. That version was replaced by Mac OS X 10.2.8 (build 6R73) for non-G5 processors.
When the user account does not have Administrative access,
- The Mac OS 9 System Folder is dimmed in the Classic preferences pane.
- This alert appears when starting the Classic environment: "Classic Startup found no System Folder on the boot volume from which to start Classic."
- G5 optimization could lead to improved G4 application performance; 'Smeagol' name of modified Mac OS X 10.2.7, more details, C|NET. 2009-09-02.
- Some G5 Units Ship as Jaguar 10.2.7 Nears Completion by Kasper Jade, AppleInsider. 2003-08-07.
- About the Mac OS X 10.2.8 (G5) Update, Apple Inc. 2016-10-11.
- Another Day, Another Panther Build (7B59 and 10.2.8) by Arnold Kim, MacRumors. 2003-09-06.
- About the Mac OS X 10.2.8 Update, Apple Inc. 2011-12-6.
- Mac OS X 10.2.7: System Folder Dimmed in Classic Preferences, "No System Folder" Alert at Apple (2012-02-18)