Mac OS X version 10.3 Panther, is the fourth major release of Apple Inc.'s operating system Mac OS X. The previous release was called Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar", and the following release was Mac OS X version 10.4 "Tiger". Apple charged USD 129.00 for a single-user license and USD 199.00 for a Family Pack (5 user, 1 household) license.
Apple released Panther on October 24, 2003. Apple claimed that Panther had at least 150 new features, including:
- Finder updated interface
- Brushed-metal interface
- Real-time searching (like iTunes)
- Customisable sidebar (like iTunes)
- Fast user switching, that allows a user to remain logged in while another user logs in, featuring the desktop on an animated cube (the effect is only seen on systems with Quartz Extreme). Windows XP has a similar feature without an animated cube.
- Exposé, a program to help the user manage windows, especially large numbers of them.
- Fax support built-in.
- X11 support built-in.
- TextEdit support for Microsoft Word (*.doc) documents.
- Microsoft Windows interoperability improvements, including support for SecurlD-based VPNs.
- Xcode Developer Tools, which speed compile times significantly with GCC 3.3.
- iChat AV video-conferencing software
- PDF rendering speed increases
- File labels are back!
- Pixlet high definition video codec (for digital animation, of Pixar fame) included
- Safari was introduced in this version and replaced with the older internet system.
- Mac OS X 10.3.0 (build 7B85), released October 24, 2003
- Mac OS X 10.3.1 (build 7C107), released November 10, 2003
- Mac OS X 10.3.2 (build 7D24), released December 17, 2003
- Mac OS X 10.3.3 (build 7F44), released March 15, 2004
- Mac OS X 10.3.4 (build 7H63), released May 26, 2004
- Mac OS X 10.3.5 (build 7M34), released August 8, 2004
- Mac OS X 10.3.6 (build 7R28), released November 5, 2004
- Mac OS X 10.3.7 (build 7S215), released December 15, 2004
- Mac OS X 10.3.8 (build 7U16), released February 9, 2005
- Mac OS X 10.3.9 released April 15, 2005
The system requirements are:
- Models with a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor (233 MHz minimum)
- Integrated USB (indicative of New World ROM)
- 128 MB RAM minimum (512 MB recommended)
- Minimum of 1.5 GB of free disk space.
- CD ROM.
- Internet access requires a compatible provider.
- Mac OS X 10.3: System requirements, Apple Inc. 2010-02-18. Archived 2015-11-20.