- Applications: The Mail and Address Book application programmes saw improvements
- Font: Font management saw improvements
- Graphics: New graphics drivers for ATI and NVIDIA were supplied
- Networking: File sharing and Directory Services were improved for mixed Mac and PC networks
- Printing: Printing to PostScript printers were made more robust
- Various: Improvements were made for FileVault, FireWire, USB Printing and WebDAV
Previously stand-alone security updates were included.
Address Book and Mail
- Mail moves messages marked as junk to the Junk mailbox more reliably.
- In Address Book, you can now configure Exchange synchronization with either a hostname or full server URL, including a (https://) URL to automatically use SSL.
- Improves syncing between Address Book and Microsoft Exchange.
- You can now move an email to a different mailbox if you use an email server that previously didn't allow this.
- Improves results when using Mail with a .Mac or IMAP account and an SSL connection.
- Improves text sizing when printing from Mail.
- Improves results when looking for SMB-based servers in the Network view.
- Resolves an issue in which the Mac OS X firewall could no longer be available if you performed an upgrade installation of Mac OS X Panther.
- Allows automatic configuration of proxy servers using Proxy Auto Configuration (.pac) files.
- Resolves an issue that could prevent the computer from getting a DHCP lease after certain kernel extensions were unloaded and reloaded.
- Improves DNS for Mac OS 10.2 clients that use a shared Internet connection from a Mac OS X Panther computer.
- Resolves an issue that could prevent you from getting or maintaining an IP address via DHCP under certain conditions.
- Addresses an issue in which the L2TP VPN could not connect with leftover racoon.pid.
Print and fax
- The size of printouts from certain applications, including Safari, has been fixed.
- Addresses an issue in which a "No pages were selected to be printed in this document" alert appears when printing from Mail, Safari, iPhoto, or Preview, and then the application unexpectedly quits.
- Improves compatibility for Microsoft Virtual PC 6.1's emulated printing features.
- You can now save faxes in a folder whose name includes 2-byte characters.
- Addresses an issue with some USB PostScript printers, including the HP LaserJet 2300, Lexmark E310, and GCC Elite 21, in which a "Printer not responding" message appears when you add the printer in Printer Setup Utility, or when you try to print.
- Improves compatibility for Brother HL 1240 printers when used on an AirPort network with Rendezvous; an alert message with "-9672" could appear when adding the printer.
- Addresses an issue in which an application could unexpectedly quit when sending a fax to several recipients.
- Improves compatibility for some Lexmark printers when they print an A4-sized page.
- Improves reliability of Mac OS X Panther's fax email delivery feature.
Finder and other
- Addresses issues that could keep a disk image from appearing in the Finder when you open its file.
- You can now eject a FireWire-based volume from the Finder without entering an administrator password.
- Improves security of background applications when Screen Saver is on, and when entering a Screen Saver password.
- The Repair Permissions utility no longer reports a permissions issue with the printer.conf file.
- Character Palette no longer appears when you log in or after the computer wakes from sleep.
- iTunes will keep importing songs from an audio CD if you switch to another account.
- FileVault no longer prompts to recover unused disk space each time you log out; it will now ask only when needed.
- A Font Book collection's name, if it included a slash, or solidus, character ("/"), could cause issues; you can no longer use a slash in a Font Book collection's name.
- Addresses an issue in which a PowerBook G4 computer may stop responding when a Classic application's window is moved.
- The consonant of the first character for certain words entered using the Simplified Chinese ABC input method is no longer ignored.
- Improves compatibility for CH Products' joysticks and flight yokes.
- Improves compatibility for MagTek credit card readers.
- Improves reliability of third-party FireWire audio hardware devices.
- More reliably recognizes some FireWire devices, including the iSight camera.
- Addresses an issue with iChat AV (Italian) in which you couldn't join a chat room that you were invited to.