Mac OS X 10.3.9 is the ninth update to Mac OS X 10.3. The update was released on April 15, 2005.
What's New in Mac OS X 10.3.9
- File sharing and directory services reliability for mixed Mac and PC networks
- Mail, Safari and Stickies application reliability
- Compatibility for third party applications and devices
Previous stand-alone Security Updates have also been included.
- Addresses an issue in which copied files could become fragmented (but still usable) when you copy more than one file at the same time in the Finder.
- Addresses a rare issue in which a file could become damaged when copying to a FAT16- or FAT32-formatted volume.
- Improves reliability when mounting (making available) a disk image larger than 4.7 GB (the size of a normal DVD disc).
- Accessing certain websites, such as msnbc.com, mail.yahoo.com, ticketmaster.com, and others, no longer displays a "bad server response" alert that could occur in Safari.
- Addresses an issue in which "safe download" files are not automatically opened after downloading.
- SSL webpages (pages with URLs that start with https) load faster in Safari.
- Adds some important VeriSign root certificates to Safari, allowing you to connect to certain secure websites that you might not have been able to surf before.
- Adds other trusted root certificates to Safari, such as VISA and RSA.
- Stickies: Issues where Stickies could unexpectedly quit when creating a new note or become invisible are resolved. Also, Stickies windows can now be minimised (this was an issue with Mac OS X 10.3.4 through 10.3.8).
- Further improvements include:
- Addresses slow vertical tracking and intermittent trackpad behavior on PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.5GHz, 15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz, and 17-inch 1.67GHz computers.
- Adds an "Apple Internal 56k Modem (v.32)" modem choice that you can use if you have difficulty using Verizon's Airfone Jet Connect service.
- Addresses an issue with Mac OS X 10.3.6 and later in which the Calculator window won't appear if the Speak Button Pressed or Speak Total options are enabled.
- Fixes an issue at the login window, where clicking the small space just below the bottom user account picture would produce an alert.
- Addresses an issue in which the startup time in Mac OS X 10.3.6 through 10.3.8 may be extended if a large number of PostScript fonts are installed.
- If a user's PowerBook G4 sometimes wakes up with a kernel panic, installing this update may help.
- Addresses a data loss issue that could occur when syncing your iDisk at the same time that .Mac servers are experiencing heavy usage.
- Avoids a potential Mail issue if the application is running when Daylight Savings Time changes.
- Addresses some formatting issues that could occur when replying to HTML messages in Mail.
Issues with Mac OS X 10.3.9
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.