Mac OS X version 10.3 Panther, is the fourth major release of Apple Inc.'s operating system Mac OS X. The previous release was called Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar", and the following release was Mac OS X version 10.4 "Tiger". Apple charged USD 129.00 for a single-user license and USD 199.00 for a Family Pack (5 user, 1 household) license.
Apple released Panther on October 24, 2003. Apple claimed that Panther had at least 150 new features, including:
- Finder updated interface
- Brushed-metal interface
- Real-time searching (like iTunes)
- Customisable sidebar (like iTunes)
- Fast User Switching, that allows a user to remain logged in while another user logs in feature, featuring the desktop on an animated cube (the effect is only seen on systems with Quartz Extreme). Windows XP has a similar feature without an animated cube.
- Exposé, a program to help the user manage windows, especially large numbers of them.
- Fax support built-in.
- X11 support built-in.
- TextEdit support for Microsoft Word (*.doc) documents.
- Microsoft Windows interoperability improvements, including support for SecurlD-based VPNs.
- Xcode Developer Tools, which speed compile times significantly with gcc 3.3.
- iChat AV video-conferencing software
- PDF rendering speed increases
- File labels are back!
- Pixlet high definition video codec (for digital animation, of Pixar fame) included
- Mac OS X 10.3.0 (build 7B85), released October 24, 2003
- Mac OS X 10.3.1 (build 7C107), released November 10, 2003
- Mac OS X 10.3.2 (build 7D24), released December 17, 2003
- Mac OS X 10.3.3 (build 7F44), released March 15, 2004
- Mac OS X 10.3.4 (build 7H63), released May 26, 2004
- Mac OS X 10.3.5 (build 7M34), released August 8, 2004
- Mac OS X 10.3.6 (build 7R28), released November 5, 2004
- Mac OS X 10.3.7 (build 7S215), released December 15, 2004
- Mac OS X 10.3.8 (build 7U16), released February 9, 2005
- Mac OS X 10.3.9 released April 15, 2005
Sources and References
- Apple Computer, Inc. (2003). Mac OS X 10.3.2 Update: Information and Download. Retrieved December 19, 2003, from http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120288
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.