Mac OS X 10.4.2 was released on July 12, 2005. It has the build number 8C46. The update delivers overall improved reliability and compatibility for Mac OS X 10.4 and is a recommended update for all Tiger users.
Specifically, fixes were in place for:
- Widgets: A widget manager in the form of a widget itself was introduced to Dashboard beginnning with Mac OS X 10.4.2
- AirPort: AirPort and wireless access;
- Applications: Address Book, Automator, iCal, iChat, Mail, Safari, and Stickies, and compatibility with third party applications and devices;
- Dashboard: Managing Dashboard widgets now could also take place in the form of a widget which specifically managed them, including their activation;
- Finder: Updates, including finding on Kind and using Slideshow;
- Graphics: Core Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, including updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers;
- Installation: installation reliability
- Network: File sharing using AFP and SMB/CIFS network file services, and single sign-on authentiation and reliable access to Active Directory servers;
- Users: Autologin for managed user acounts;
- .Mac: synchronising your iDisk with .Mac
Issues with Mac OS X 10.4.2
- System: PowerBook screen rotation as outlined in this macosxhints article has been disabled.