Stephan Gary "The Woz" Wozniak (born August 11, 1950) is one of the original co-founders of Apple Computer, with Steve Jobs and Ronald Wayne on April 1, 1976. He is officially designated employee #1 and served as VP of Engineering.
Wozniak graduated from Homestead High School in Cupertino, California, which would later be attended by Steve Jobs. In 1969, fellow classmate Bill Fernandez introduced Jobs to Wozniak while the latter was washing his car. In 1971, Wozniak and Fernandez worked together on their first computer board, called Cream Soda, which used punch cards, while consuming Cragmont Cream Soda. After reading about phone phreaking in an October 1971 issue of Esquire, Wozniak built "blue boxes" to make free phone calls and once called the Vatican in an attempt to reach Pope Paul VI. Jobs sold the blue boxes for around $170; some were obtained by the FBI after blue box customers got caught using them.
Wozniak at Apple
When Wozniak discovered that some of Apple's early garage employees did not receive any stock options in the company, he offered them US$10 million worth of his personal shares through what was called the "Woz Plan".
- The First 10 Apple Employees: Where Are They Now? by Jay Yarow, Business Insider. 2011-05-24.
- Who were the original Members of the Apple Board of Directors? by Garrick Saito, Elevation Partners, Quora. 2016-03-24.
- Apple's first employee: The remarkable odyssey of Bill Fernandez by Jason Hiner, Tech Republic. 2014-12-05.
- Cream soda – The first computer by Shashwat Pradhan, Emberify Blog. 2014-10-01.
- 9.9 Apple by Gavi Fried and Jon Sweitzer-Lamme, Bit by Bit. Archived 2012-10-13.
- The Definitive Story of Steve Wozniak, Steve Jobs, and Phone Phreaking by Phil Lapsley, The Atlantic. 2013-02-20.
- The World According to Woz by Gary Wolf, Wired. 1998-09-01.
- Breakout - Jobs and Woz Bust Through by William Hunter, The Dot Eaters. 2013-03.
- The Making of Breakout, Retro Gamer. 2014-05-13.
- How Steve Wozniak Wrote BASIC for the Original Apple From Scratch by Steve Wozniak, Gizmodo. 2014-05-01.
- Why didn't the early Apple II's use Fans? by Steve Wozniak, Woz.org. Archived 2012-11-04.
- Hertzfeld, Andy. Credit Where Due,Folklore.org, January 1983. Retrieved May 26, 2006.
- When Steve Jobs Refused To Give Early Apple Employees Stock, Steve Wozniak Offered Them $10 Million Of His, by Alyson Shontell, Business Insider. 2014-09-05
- Woz's Wanderings by Owen W. Linzmayer, Apple Confidential 2.0: The Definitive History of the World's Most Colorful Company, p.27-39. No Starch Press. 2004.