System 4 is the fourth major upgrade of the Macintosh system software. System 4 was first released in January 1987.
- Was a minor update from System 3, but did have some changes and new features.
- Introduced AppleShare client, to connect to file servers, as part of the OS.
- Updated the LaserWriter Driver to 3.3.
- Included with the Macintosh SE.
- Updated the LaserWriter Driver to 4.0.
- Included with the Macintosh II.
- Improved the "About the Macintosh" dialog box; now contained RAM usage as seen through Mac OS 9.
- The Color menu was displayed on color capable Macs.
- Backgrounder, DA Handler, Early Access, and Print Moniter were added.
- Cooperative multitasking via MultiFinder was added.
- Updated the LaserWriter Driver to 5.0.
- Updated the Apple HD SC Setup partitioning software.
- Updated the LaserWriter Driver to 5.1.
- System 4.0 — January 1987
- System 4.1 — April 1987
- System 4.2 — October 1987
- System 4.3 — November 1987
- The develop CD and its spawn by Eric Rasmussen, Apple Macintosh before System 7. Archived 2011-11-22.
- Macintosh: System Software Version History, Apple Inc. 2012-02-19.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.