Apple TV Software, the predecessor to tvOS, was originally based on a custom build of Mac OS X 10.4.7 for the 1st-generation Apple TV console that was released on March 21, 2007. With the release of the 2nd-generation Apple TV on September 1, 2010, new versions of the software were derived from iOS, starting with Apple TV Software 4.0, which was based on iOS 4.1. The 3rd-generation Apple TV shipped on March 7, 2012 with Apple TV Software 5.0, which was based on iOS 5.1.
With the announcement of the 4th-generation Apple TV HD console on September 9, 2015, the software was renamed tvOS, starting with tvOS 9, which was based on iOS 9. Version 11 added support for the the 5th-generation Apple TV 4K, which was released on September 22, 2017. Version 13.4 merged in support for Apple's HomePod smart speaker in April 2020. It was updated to 13.4.5 the following month. It was updated to 13.4.8 on July 15, 2020. The current version of tvOS as of April 26, 2021 is 14.5. tvOS 15 was announced on June 7, 2021 at the 2021 Worldwide Developers Conference.
|tvOS 9||iOS 9||13T396||2015-10-29||Initial release for Apple TV HD.|
|tvOS 10||iOS 10||14T330||2016-09-13||Added support for Dark Mode and control of HomeKit accessories.|
|tvOS 11||iOS 11||15J381||2017-09-19||Initial release for Apple TV 4K (1st generation).|
|tvOS 12||iOS 12||16J364||2018-09-17||Support for Dolby Atmos E-AC3 on Apple TV 4K for up to 7.1.4 channels.|
|tvOS 13||iOS 13||17J586||2019-09-24||New home screen with Control Center and support for multiple Apple IDs.|
|tvOS 14||iOS 14||18J386||2020-09-16||Support for 4K YouTube videos, and picture-in-picture in 3rd-party apps.|
|tvOS 14.5||iOS 14.5||18L204||2021-04-26||Initial release for Apple TV 4K (2nd generation).|
|tvOS 15||iOS 15||19J346||2021-09-20||Support for controlling Apple TV from a HomePod or HomePod mini.|
|tvOS 16||iOS 16||20J5299n||2022 Fall||In developer beta.|
- tvOS 15.5.1 (19L580), Apple Developer. 2022-05-25.
- tvOS 16 beta 2 (20J5319h), Apple Developer. 2022-06-22.
- First Look: Hacking Apple TV by Dan Frakes, Macworld. 2007-03-27.
- About Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) software updates, Apple Support. 2021-01-27.
- HomePod now runs on tvOS, here’s what that could mean by Filipe Espósito, 9to5Mac. 2020-04-13.
- Apple Releases tvOS 13.4.5 for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV Models by Juli Clover, MacRumors. 2020-05-20.
- Apple releases iOS 13.6, iPadOS 13.6, macOS 10.15.6, tvOS 13.4.8, watchOS 6.2.8 by Mike Peterson, AppleInsider. 2020-07-15.
- tvOS 14.5 (18L204), Apple Developer. 2021-04-26.
- Apple WWDC 2021: iOS 15, MacOS 12 and everything we expect by Patrick Holland, C|NET. 2021-05-14.
- Apple TV at Apple
- tvOS at Apple Developer
- tvOS (archived 2016-10-27, 2017-09-12)
- TV Support at Apple Support
- About Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD software updates
- About Apple TV (4th generation) software updates
- About Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) software updates
- AppleTV Firmware Download Locations at iClarified
- tvOS and Firmware/Apple TV at The iPhone Wiki
- tvOS 14 roundup at MacRumors
- tvOS at Wikipedia