watchOS 9 is the ninth major release of watchOS for the Apple Watch series that is in development at Apple Inc.
watchOS 9 is derived from iOS 16; both were announced on June 6 at the 2022 Worldwide Developers Conference and are scheduled to be released sometime later in 2022.
VP of Technology Kevin Lynch and staff introduced the following new features at WWDC 2022:
- Metrics — updated to improve user workouts.
- Sleep — records user sleep activity.
- Heart — updated with the ability to record atrial fibrillation (AFib) history of users.
- Medications — help users manage medications and supplements.
Some new accessibility features that Apple previewed as part of Global Accessibility Awareness Day on May 17, 2022 include:
- Apple Watch mirroring for users to control their watchOS device remotely from an iPhone.
- New Quick Actions to expand AssistiveTouch gestures in watchOS.
- Siri Pause Time to allow more time for users with speech disabilities to issue a voice command.
watchOS 9 is expected to run on the new Apple Watch Series 8, but has dropped support for the Apple Watch Series 3. An iPhone 8 or later running at least iOS 16 is also required to support the following models:
- * Support ended for Apple Watch Series 3.
|9.0 beta 1
||First developer beta.
|9.0 beta 2
||2nd developer beta.
- ↑ watchOS 9 beta 2 (20R5307h) Apple Developer. 2022-06-22.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 watchOS 9 delivers new ways to stay connected, active, and healthy, Apple Inc. 2022-06-06.
- ↑ Apple events 2022: Apple’s next event is 6 June by Karen Haslam, Macworld. 2022-04-06.
- ↑ WWDC 2022 - June 6 by Apple, YouTube. 2022-06-06.
- ↑ Apple previews innovative accessibility features combining the power of hardware, software, and machine learning, Apple Inc. 2022-05-17.
- ↑ Apple announces iOS 16 door detection, live captions, and more accessibility features by William Gallagher, AppleInsider. 2022-05-17.
- ↑ Leaked renders offer first look at redesigned Apple Watch Series 8 by Anam Hamid, Phone Arena. 2022-05-17.
- ↑ watchOS 9 — the new Apple Watch features we want in 2022 by Kate Kozuch, Tom's Guide. 2022-04-06.